Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Rentals

Rentals; it's the poor man's video game catalogue. And I'm proud to be a poor man. I get to play what I want to play whenever I feel like it from whatever is available, and if I really like it, I'll buy it from a retailer and make it part of my videogame gallery's permanent collection. I don't have to go through the burden of wanting to buy a videogame for $40 to $60 (more if it has peripherals to it) and possibly hating it being a potential piece of crap and then either getting suck with it or trading it in to GameStop for like pennies of what it's really worth towards another potentially crappy game; continuing the circle of life. That's total bullshit in my opinion, and I don't want to subject myself to such mediocrity and wasteful spending. I'm a cheap bastard and I'm a gamer. I need my fix but I also need to eat. I want the best for the least and buying crappy games outright is not alright with me.


Renting videogames isn't any difference than borrowing a book from the library. You go to the store (or in some cases choose from an online catalogue) and see what is available. I select it and have it for a certain amount of time. If it's a short game and I finish it; just like a short book; I'd return it either on time or earlier for something else. If it's a really long game, than I'll see if either I can get it again or keep it longer to finish it. But more likely, if its such a good game or book, I'd want it as part of my permanent collection. I have a few books that I like to read that I own; although I'm not much to read outside of comicbooks. Just the same as videogames; I have a few that I have in my collection and have a lot of replay value or was just that badass of a game that I had to have it (all of the Final Fantasies from VII onward FTW!)

With renting a game I do not think that I'm any less of a gamer than anyone that getting the same game during it's release date. In fact, I think it makes me more of a gamer instead. A thrifty gamer that have variety versus someone that frivolously spend a crapload of money for a game they reserved six months in advance just so they can have some sort of commemorative swag that goes with the SAME DAMN GAME!!! It doesn't make any effin' sense to me. I want to know why exactly would someone go through that torture. And even if they have all the swag and the bragging rights of saying that I was the first to reserve it in their own respective group of people they hang out with, if the game is crap, than all that you can brag about is wasting a huge amount of time and money on a steaming pile. It boggles my mind, I have no idea what goes on in their little hamster wheels inside of their brain. Sure most games are pretty good, some are great and even fewer are epic, but to put that much time investing on a gamble versus just getting the game from a retailer or have it delivered to you to play it before possibly buying it; I think the logical choice is obvious. But what do I know, maybe I'll become a better gamer if I play the same damn game wearing a shirt about the game that's too tight for me because they ran out of XXXL and my ultra kickass lanyard.

Maybe I'm just out of the loop. I can understand preordering consoles, that's different. That's what you need to play the kickass games. And although the last console that I preordered was the Sega Dreamcast (greatest console ever) I just can't say the same about a game. I like playing my videogames. I like having money to do other things such as paying rent, putting food on the table, and putting gas in my car as well; but what the hell do I know?

BootLeG sampler.. signing out...

No comments:

Post a Comment