Wednesday, March 16, 2011

List O' Reasons Why we Still Listen to Metallica

You know, after a string of WTF's and other random stuff, I realized that I've neglected some key points to my blog. One of which (if you couldn't have noticed with the title) are my infamous List O' posts. So I'm here to resurrect it from it's slumber. The other is my passion for music. So here's two birds with one stone. In the process of creating new topics to dissect, digest, and whatever follows that; I was on my way to work and had my music collection playing on random. I thus noticed that it seems like even though it's on random, certain tracks seem to be coming up. Ones I haven't heard in a while and others I've keep hearing from other people or the radio. Just so happens that this time it was Metallica I was hearing. And it got me wondering, "why do we still listen to Metallica"? I don't know about you, but here's my reasons why. Maybe your reasons are similar; but this isn't your blog is it... (j/k) So here are the List O' reasons why we still listen to Metallica. Oh, and just a FYI, I'm not numbering them in importance this time or limiting them to a set number like any others List O's from before, so let's all be surprised on how far this thing can go.

• They rock (or at least they did). Hell, you can't tell me if you ever were a fan of rock music for the past 25 years that you've never listened to a Metallica song. You're a liar and a poser if that's the case. Maybe (well, most likely) you're a fan off of anything they did up to their infamous "Black Album", and maybe you're like me and like the latter as a musical evolution / experimental avenue they took. The fact is that they still exist because they have a fan-base. They're practically irresistible because when we go to their shows we hear a little of all they offer. The old and the new. And in my opinion, it's all good (more on that on later bullet points to come).

• They're one of the most storied bands in history. It's no surprise that Metallica had it's ups and downs in one fashion or another. From it's beginnings with Dave Mustaine's drug and alcohol issues. To it's scare of the bands demise with the death of original bassist Cliff Burton. To the direction of their Load/Reload albums. The falling out of their second bassist Jason Newsted. To battles with rehab and Napster (again, more on that later). It appears that they're the Energizer battery of rock, just keep on going and going. I salute the band (not the individuals in the band because its Metallica that we're talking about) for their perseverance.

• Lars F'n Ulrich. The enemy of the torrents. Kinda like the anti-sampler.. in the fact that he's all about the Napster being legit and having DRM in all digital media. That's just my cup of tea as well as many others. Sure he's a phenomenal drummer and sure St. Anger was WAY TOO MUCH SNAIRE for most people (honestly I liked it, mostly) he'll be known for that douche that put Napster down and made it a paid service. He's an asshole for that, but hey, that was like almost 10 years ago, let it go already. If it wasn't for Bob Rock taking a shit on the production of their albums (you'll see which albums in the next bullet point), Lars would've been King of the Assholes.

• Death Magnetic. I'll admit, even though I liked Load, Reload, Garage Inc. (to a point), and S&M (more on that later), after St. Anger (all of which Bob Rock produced) I had my doubts that Metallica lost its "Metal" because it was trying too hard to be the best. I almost lost interest within 'tallica if it wasn't for their excellence in their earlier, heavier, ballsier stuff. Their songs used to tell epic stories with each riff, and I felt that they lost touch with that. Then Death Magnetic came out, and it was good. Pretty damn good. Rick F'n Ruben good. It was a breath of fresh air with a new producer and a clear head on where they knew they stood. They went back to what was they were known and good for, while still keeping it fresh and evolved. They even brought back an instrumental track (its only been since 1989 since we had that from them). So if you dismissed them for the sins of their past, give Death Magnetic a listen and you'll be hooked again.

• The potential of being the next bassist for Metallica. It seems to be that they go though bassists like my kids through baby teeth. They're bound to be out of the picture by age 10 or so. Which means it's just a few more years for them to consider BootLeG for their outfit. I mean, I can hang with most of their stuff on bass, and I really tear it up on "Bells" and "Orion". Gotta love keeping it old school. But knowing my luck I'll die in a bus accident in Prague or something. (I apologize to the memory of Cliff Burton for that joke, but that's probably what would happen to me).

• S&M. It was in my opinion a pretty damn good concept. Something straight outta left field if it wasn't for the late Michael Kamen who worked with other rock acts before (including Metallica with Nothing Else Matters). But fact of the matter is that it was a damn good production. It was an excellent effort in showing that they could take their music into any direction, and yes I love the concept of incorporating classical sounds into modern rock music. I want to see more acts like this. Screw playing unplugged, play with brass. They could call it "brass balls". I just wish they did three things with that project. One: did it more than a one time event. Two: made studio recordings of "-Human" and "No Leaf Clover", because those rocked a little more than most of what was on Load and Reload. Three: did more of their B-sides in that concert instead of the singles. Those three things Metallica, that's all I ask.

And that was the List O' that was. I hope that it gave you a little more insight to the phenomena that is Metallica from a fan and critic standpoint. Now if you don't mind, I'm gonna get my 'tallica on...

BootLeG sampler.. signing out...

No comments:

Post a Comment