Friday, December 18, 2009

Confessions of a Tech-whore

I'm in love with technology. I've been in love with it almost my entire life. I personally blame the Mattel Aquarius as the gateway to my obsession with technology and all things nerd and geeky. It was truly my first computer/console/piece of crap thing of technology that I ever had. But as time go by, technology has advanced to new heights and all I can do is just drool over all that is tech.

But I also realize that I'm a broke-ass and can't afford the luxuries that I so desperately want. And as technology advance more and more, the more and more I drool over things that are just out of reach. It's a cruel thing wanting the newest and greatest of things at the moment because in just a short amount of time, it'll be outdated. We all know that, but we're all guilty of it's beacon call. We all wanted the next big thing; whether it's a next-gen videogame console, a high-def TV and Blu-Ray player, the latest smartphone, fastest computer with the fastest internet connection available; everything under the sun and more. And just for the record, I'm not singleing out anyone, hence the title of the post in case you forgotten.

I was always fixated with technology. One of my earliest memories is my dad playing his Atari 2600 with his drinking buddies. It looked like so much fun. Then I played it a little, and I was hooked, like a junkie to the needle. It only grew worse when I got my first console at the ripe young age of 5; my NES was the shit back then, and it's still is now. And for the longest time, I was the freckin' man in my neighborhood cause I had a Nintendo, then... The SNES came out; and I was like "Ahhh, crap!!!" with the new hotness that I didn't have. Eventually I got a Sega Genesis, but that was feeling of being the man again was short lived with the next gen consoles hitting the streets. My best friend had all the consoles at the badass consoles at the time. From the NES to both the SNES and Genesis, and even a Nintendo 64 when it came out. Of course his mom and oldest sister worked at Toys-R-Us and had it held for them during it's release, so they had the hookup. And in turn, I had the hookup.

But finally as I was old enough for a job, I bought my first console (with my own money that is) on it's release day, 9.9.99; the Sega Dreamcast. In my opinion the best damn console ever made giving it's time of inception. (Honestly, the best damn console ever: I just pissed off everyone that owns a PS3 and a 360). But for what it's worth, at the time it had the best controls on its games, the most fluid graphics, and well, IT'S SEGA!!! Ya can't go wrong with Sega. Until... (ugh), the Playstation 2 came out. Then the XBox came out. Next thing you know, The Dreamcast is nothing but a memory and my elite status was shot to hell, yet again.

And the fact of having the best in electronics isn't just on the videogame aspect as well. Although, videogames are a pretty big chunk of that experience. There was plenty of instances where I longed for what I could afford and get the best for what I could get. Everything from cellphones, to camcorders, to computers. It's nothing but a big friggin' rat race. I just stopped trying to compete for the best and now I guess I can call this me being in tech-addict remission. I still want, but I know that I don't need it.

Currently, I'm working on building the computer of my dreams. It will handle normal stuff, but it'll mainly be for music production and other media storage. I want this computer to be a media center for my living room as well as if I wanted to just jam on my bass guitar, play some chords on it and record it for prosperity. Hopefully, this will be the beginning of my music to be put onto the internet for those to enjoy. But that computer is a little ways from being built and all that I can do is just build and collect little by little. But once it's done, it'll be epic. Then I'll work on getting that Playstation 3.

So for now, I'll just sit at home and watch my kids play the Wii then watch House in HD. (yeah, that's not bad if you ask me...)

BootLeG sampler.. signing out...

No comments:

Post a Comment