Yeah, it's been quite a while since I'd did a top whatever list, so here's my contribution to something that I felt has been once again, overlooked. More or less we have all played a videogame that at one point or another, there's that brick wall that we just can't get passed without a little help. Some games seem that they're just made not to be beaten while others are so unbalanced with it's level of difficulty that winning in it is not just a far off dream, but a hellish nightmare to even attempt at trying. This is why developers gave us various tools on our side to show those games who's boss; I'm talking about cheats. Ya gotta love 'em. They're there to take some of the slack off to make a game easier to play and beat, but then again there are some that are just there to completely obliterate any opposition that comes upon you. Here is my homage to the best videogame cheats, glitches, and other cheap-ass tricks. And always remember, this is completely opinionated so if I forgot something at the time or completely ignored, burn me on the comments, it's just all that I had in mind at the time.
Just a small disclaimer: this list is in no particular order, it's just the first few things that I could come up with off of the top of my head. It's not a top list, it's just a list of tops.
- The Contra Code :: It's the epitome of all codes. This code is so infamous that practically all Konami title either has it or mock it in some form or another. It's so popular that it's just known to as "The Code" and is forever engraved as a part of our videogame culture. Hell, it's so popular that even Facebook adapted the code for a neat little easter egg if you try it. Here's how to pull it off... up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, b, a, enter (that's if you haven't already tried it out.)
- The Game Genie :: Now this mo-fo was the king of all cheap tricks. It made the unbeatable game beatable. It gave birth to such features such as infinite lives, invincibiltiy, unlimited anything, and all the other stuff that makes a hard-as-hell game seems like you're playing a baby's toy. So I solute you Game Genie, the Rosetta Stone of hacks and codes. Without you, I would've smashed my Genesis with a sledgehammer 10 times over as a kid.
- The Koopa Shell in Super Mario Bros. World 3-1 :: We all know that one. A quick way to get 99 lives and hopefully not lose them all cause you would've sucked at later levels. This has to be one of the first cheap-ass moves I've ever experienced as a gamer. Especially once you reached 100 lives, you die, game over, and all those 1-ups were just a waste of time. This game still all so many years later gives me nostalgic angst in the fact on how cheap some things are in this epic title. Of course if you really want to be cheap...
- The Running 1-UP on any Mario 2D platformer :: that's as cheap as you can get. A ba-jillion points and a 1-UP at the end of it all... that's eff'd up. Not to mention in Super Mario World that in some cases you could get a 2-UP... A FRIGGIN' 2-UP!!! NOW THAT'S TRULY EFF'D UP!!!
- God Mode (any single-player FPS) :: I remember my first time using this code. It was DOOM. Just tearing through imps and demons and well, hell itself. Knowing that I could just kill any hellspawn with only a chainsaw or my fist... Bruce Campbell would be so proud (single tear rolls down cheek.)
- Big Head Mode (any game) :: Quite possibly the worst thing to put on unless you're happen to be playing NBA JAM, big head mode is useless. So I'm categorizing this as a cheep-ass trick. Especially in the aspect of multi-player FPS's (Goldeneye comes to mind). Enable this, and you might as well just shoot yourself and get the misery over with. Such a huge target, so many weapons to frag it with...
- The Blood Kode from Mortal Kombat :: The arcade cabinet trumps the console versions for one reason only, blood. Instead you had white sprites to simulate blood and that was pretty lame. Until you enter the Blood Kode. Let the epicness begin!!! Unless you're playing the SNES port then you're screwed... XD
- The Warp Whistles form Super Mario Brothers 3 ::First introduced in the movie The Wizard months before the release of the game, it's the most effective way to move throughout the game. Especially if you're smart and get the two whistles in World 1 to get to World 8. Then at that point if you didn't get any power-ups along the way or you just plain suck at 2D platformers, you're screwed.
- Unlocking Super Sonic from Sonic the Hedgehog 2 :: The best way to play that game. Let's do the math here; you do the code, play as normal, and as soon as you collect 50 rings, jump and transform into Super Sonic. Quite frankly, the simplest and most effective way to play any platformer in my opinion.
BootLeG sampler.. signing out...