Wednesday, May 18, 2011

WTF PEOPLE!?! Turning 30

What can I say about it. Hitting the big 3-0 is some heavy shit. That means you lived a lot in a younger mans eyes. And don't get me wrong, I've done a lot of stuff prior to thirty. Heck, I'm still doing stuff before I'm thirty, I still got another year left before these weathered bones hit that hallmark. But since I'm so close to that iconic mark, it got me wondering what the hell is the big deal about it. Sure age is just a number, but thirty is a helluva lot different than let's say twenty-one (which was a pretty damn good number in my book). I just want to see what is the phobia about getting to that point as well as the greatness of being such and the other crap about being thirty. 

Obviously with age comes wisdom, and in most cases that's true. Let's not forget what I stated in previous posts about the correlation between age and certain aspects of today's era. But in that aspect it's more of a common sense thing. As a youth you have no fear of what's to come and brave it head first. I do that too to a point. I dive into things gradually. I do like the challenge but it's a calculated risk from the fortune or misfortune of prior experience. And I can consider myself fortunate for being brave still and learning from my mistakes. I suppose for some older people they fall to their fear of being brave and not jumping into new ventures. Of a new up and coming class of thirty-something I look forward to laughing at the face of the unknown. Hence why older (50-ish and up generally speaking; definitely older than me) fear modern things such as technology and social trends. Ignorance is no longer bliss in my book. 

But the truth of the matter is that I'm an old man now. I can't hang like the youth as well as I used to. Its an endurance issue. I know my limits on what I can and can't do. I don't go drinking to get drunk, I drink to relax and get buzzed. I don't smoke anymore and haven't picked up a cigarette in almost four years (which is a good thing for anyone to do). I do try to eat healthier because I want to be there for my family at home and not in a hospital bed. I feel that as I'm older I'm no longer responsible for myself and my actions; but for my family in whatever consequences I have to burden. It's all relative in that I become more mature of a man than what I once was. 

I'm just thinking that as we get to that point, why does it have to be thirty. I'm all for manning up and owning to what I've done, but why is it that we don't think of these things until we're 30? Is it all that odd that we, both men and women, have a biological clock to stake our claim and settle down no sooner than that birthday? I've seen so many of my personal friends decide to consider settling down and start like their mortality is at stake. It's so weird that they spend their whole life doing crazy stupid shit and then decide to put on the breaks, almost like Thelma and Louise were to think twice before jumping off that chasm. (Oh my God, I am old, referencing THAT movie... where's the prune juice and my orthopedic shoes). Is the reason we act all nonsenseish is because we have no sense until then, and at best it's just to not do anything more stupid than the shit we've already done? What is it about living loose and reckless to begin with put our minds into perspective? After all, this wouldn't be a WTF if some intriguing questions weren't brought up. I guess I won't know for at least another year myself. And hell I still probably won't know until I'm pushing 40. And if I'm still doing WTF's then, I'll bring back this and answer it (hopefully I will have an answer by then). 

But for right now I'm gonna enjoy the crap out of being 29 and live like life's meant to be lived. I hope you all do the same too. 

BootLeG sampler.. signing out...

No comments:

Post a Comment